For Global Healing volunteer Dr. Diane Siegel, the most meaningful part of her work is, “the personal contact with the local people of Roatán—being able to help alleviate suffering, whether it’s a bad skin infection, severe bug bites, or something more serious.”
Having made multiple trips to our volunteer pediatric clinic, she believes it’s important for the program to continue because, “free medical care for the poorest of the poor is almost nonexistent on Roatán, except for [the] GH clinic. The [Roatán Volunteer Pediatric Clinic] provides a much needed resource, with high quality care from highly trained doctors, even if the local resources are severely limited.”
Volunteers like Dr. Siegel are making it possible for us to expand the reach of our programs in 2018 to:
- Provide infection control training at the Public Hospital in Roatán in addition to supporting free pediatric care at the Roatan Volunteer Pediatric Clinic
- Encourage new mothers in Roatán using text messages to exclusively breastfeed their babies up to six months of age
- Expand nurse training in Vietnam to satellite hospitals in the district
- Modernize blood collection and distribution at Hopital Universitaire de Mirebalais in Haiti
- Improve blood safety across Latin America through training webinars
Because of the generosity of our volunteers and donors like you, each day we are one step closer to our vision of a world where all children and mothers with life-threatening conditions are cared for by local, skilled healthcare professionals. This #GivingTuesday, we hope you will join us to improve care for children and mothers worldwide.
Thanks to a generous matching grant, all new or increased monthly donations will be doubled (up to $10,000 total for the year). Here’s how your monthly contribution will make a difference:
- $200 sponsors a medical volunteer to provide training to local medical staff. When your gift is doubled, $400 per month sponsors two volunteers to travel to a program site and provide training to local medical professionals.
- $100 per month provides a day of training for up to 20 physicians and nurses. When your gift is doubled, $200 per month provides two days of training for up to 20 physicians and nurses.
- $50 per month Helps cover a one-month supply of essential medicine for pediatric patient visits. When your gift is doubled, $100 per month helps cover a two-month supply of essential medicines for pediatric patient visits.
- $20 Funds a pediatric patient visit each month for a child in need. When your gift is doubled, $40 funds two pediatric patient visits per month for children in need.
Please consider making your contribution today! You can learn more about new people, projects and practices at Global Healing on our blog.