Job Title: Director of Development
Location: Oakland, CA with flexibility of location and time
Reports to: Executive Director
Global Healing is a small but mighty non-profit organization dedicated to improving access to high quality healthcare in developing countries. We envision a world where all children and mothers with life-threatening conditions are cared for by local, skilled healthcare professionals. Our mission is to train physicians, nurses, and medical laboratory professionals in lower income countries to implement current best practices for improved patient care.
The Director of Development is a full-time professional position. This is an exciting opportunity for a professional who has run a successful fund development program, with an emphasis on major donor giving, institutional giving, and corporate partnerships on a national basis. The ideal candidate enjoys combining high-level strategy with hands-on implementation, thrives in a diverse workplace, and is energized by the prospect of joining a team of colleagues who have a proven commitment to global health. The position works in collaboration with a small team consisting of the Executive Director, Administrative Staff, Program Manager(s), the Board of Directors, and is supervised and evaluated by the Executive Director.
Fund Development – shape, manage and drive the implementation of a successful development program including sustainable funding strategies to support organizational and program needs, including:
• Develop and implement cost-effective fund development program involving individuals, businesses, government, and public/private foundations
• Develop and implement specific campaigns for tax-credits, planned giving, charitable trusts, endowments, and other development projects
• Management of capital campaigns and grant proposals
• Identify, cultivate, and work with the Executive Director in soliciting major donors
• Lead the engagement of board and volunteers: Providing strategic counsel, leadership, and learning opportunities to the Board of Directors and serving as the primary liaison between the organization and the Board’s Development Committee, engaging and assisting them to fulfill their fundraising commitments and deepen their comfort and skills in development practices.
• Ensuring effective data tracking and systems: overseeing the evaluation of systems to support development operations and inform data-driven planning; ensuring excellent donor and gift record-keeping, processing and acknowledgement
Communication Management – shape, manage and drive the implementation of an effective outreach and communication strategy to educate and cultivate community support, including:
• Manage materials and communications with funders and donors: Writing fundraising letters, online fundraising campaigns, videos, and collateral materials; overseeing design production and distribution of all development materials; supervising all grant writing, research, and reporting to funders.
• Manage the pool of contract writers and the development of content for organization’s website, online publications, and social media.
• Building external relationships and representing the organization: Developing and maintaining close working relationships with the philanthropic community and institutional donors; and serving as a visible spokesperson and advocate for Global Healing’s mission and programs around the world.
Skills and Qualifications:
• 5 to 7 years of experience managing and growing a multi-faceted fund development program, and personally cultivating, and soliciting donors, corporations, and foundations for support.
• Ability to work well with diverse individuals and balance a variety of needs working on a small team of paid staff, volunteers, and board members.
• A record of significant measurable results in organizing and implementing the full range of fund development activities including: online fundraising campaigns, annual funds, corporate and foundation giving, direct mail, planned giving, and special events. ·
• Demonstrated experience in setting strategy and managing goals, developing and implementing plans, managing people and budgets, and recruiting and organizing volunteers.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with proven experience in crafting proposals, donor correspondence, social media, and marketing materials.
• Strong technology and analytic skills: proficiency in Word, Outlook, Excel, Salesforce, and other applications as needed and experience setting up and tracking data management systems.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Health benefits and 401K options available.
Educational and professional development opportunities will be provided.
To Apply: No phone calls please. Send email, cover letter and resume to Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as received. Candidates selected for an interview will be requested to provide references, track record of development experience, and a portfolio of writing samples and graphic designs. Position open until filled.